- Structure and function of the extracellular matrix (ECM) and how the extracellular matrix impacts on developmental processes and pathological processes such as neuroinflammation and diabetes
- Impact of the ECM on growth factor gradients
- Cell-ECM receptors (integrins) and intracellular signallying pathways
- Leukocyte-endothelial cell interactions
- Endothelial cell & vascular biology
- Intracellular protein sorting
- German Research Foundation funded (DFG) 'Cells-in-Motion' Cluster of Excellence
- Interdisciplinary Center for Clinical Research (IZKF)
- EU Cooperative Project 'European Stroke Network'
- DFG funded Collaborative Research Center (CRC) 1009 'Breaking Barriers'
- DFG funded CRC 128 'Multiple Sclerosis'
- Marie Curie Initial Training Network (ITN)- SmArt
- Marie Curie Initial Training Network (ITN)- SmArtER
- Marie Curie Initial Training Network (ITN)- Neuroinflammation
- DFG- funded International Graduate School (GRK) 1549 ' Molecular and Cellular Glyco-Research: Understanding Structure-Function Relationships in Carbohydrate-Protein Interactions'