Stine Falsig Pedersen
Our main research interests are:
- Regulation, physiology, and pathophysiology of pH regulatory ion transport proteins, in particular with respect to their roles in cell motility and cancer development
- Structure-function studies of the Na+/H+ exchanger NHE1 and other acid-base transport proteins
Our overall objective is to increase the understanding of the regulation, physiology, and structure-function relationship of the ubiquitous plasma membrane Na+/H+ exchanger isoform 1 (NHE1) and other acid-base transport proteins. In particular, we are interested in how these transporters are regulated in two major epithelially-derived cancers: mammary cancer and pancreatic adenocarcinoma, and how they in turn contribute to the phenotype of these cancers.
Figure: NHE1 expression (green) in a spheroid of MCF7 cells.
For further details and contact informations, please see http://www1.bio.ku.dk/staff/falsigpedersen/
1. Boedtkjer E, Moreira J, Mele M, Vahl P, Wielenga VT, Christiansen PM, Jensen V, Pedersen SF, Aalkjaer C. 2013. Na+,HCO3--cotransport is a major determinant of intracellular pH in human breast cancer: an emerging role for NBCn1 (SLC4A7). Int J Cancer 132(6):1288-99
2. Pedersen SF, Stock C. 2013. Ion channels and transporters in cancer: pathophysiology, regulation, and clinical potential. Cancer Res; 73(6):1658-61
3. Gorbatenko A, Olesen CW, Moerup N, Thiel G, Kallunki T, Valen E, Pedersen SF. 2014. ErbB2 upregulates the Na+,HCO3--cotransporter NBCn1/SLC4A7 in human breast cancer cells via Akt1, ERK2, and Krüppel-like factor 4. FASEB J, 28(1):350-63. doi: 10.1096/fj.13-233288
4. Andersen AP, Moreira J, Pedersen SF. 2014. Interactions of ion transporters and channels with cancer cell metabolism and the tumour microenvironment Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 369(1638):20130098. doi: 10.1098/rstb.2013.0098
5. Hendus-Altenburger R, Kragelund BB, Pedersen SF. 2013. Structural dynamics and regulation of mammalian SLC9A family sodium-proton exchangers. Curr Top Membranes, 2014;73:69-148. doi: 10.1016/B978-0-12-800223-0.00002-5
6. Sigurðsson HH, Olesen CW, Dybboe R, Lauritzen G, Pedersen SF. 2014. Constitutively active ErbB2 regulates cisplatin-induced cell death in MCF-7 breast cancer cells via both pro- and anti-apoptotic mechanisms Mol. Cancer Res, pii: molcanres.0011.2014